Monday, April 27, 2009

Let's Get Physical!

Leaving New York was like turning over a new leaf for me. When I finally hailed that last cab and headed to LGA, I played a really sappy mix of Cat Power's The Greatest and Puccini's "Nessun dorma" on repeat because it was just about the most dramatic thing I could find. I was rushed through security and put on an earlier flight to Houston, so before I had time to be sad, I was up in the air (and I stood next to Jerry O'Connell at the airport - like I was going to cry in front of him!). It had been so gloomy the days before I left, but suddenly, we climbed up through the clouds and it was sunny and beautiful just.like.that. It was all very symbolic. I decided the playlist I had arranged for the flight was all wrong and immediately switched it over to Taylor Swift, which eased me into the Texas state of mind!

My final days (let's be honest - my final month and then some) were jam-packed with brunches, happy hours, pizza and late night trips to Magnolia. Now that all that fun has been added to my thighs and I'm starting over down here in God's Country, I'm left with only one option: detox. I hit the West Texas ground running, literally.

Day One: No carbs, no sugar and a brisk 3 mile walk/brief jog

Day Two: No carbs, no sugar and an even more brisk 3 mile walk/jog with some brief sprints

Day Three: Maybe a few carbs, no sugar and a round of tennis

So I'm off to a decent start, but I had to call the tennis game a little bit short on day 3 for the sake of my killer shin splints. For now I'm spending my nights rotating the ice pack for the heating pad and then rubbing them down with icy hot before bed. I'm updating my work out playlist with a few new tunes to keep me going:

The Virgins - Rich Girls
The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name
Solange - I Decided
Demi Lovato - La La Land

Any other suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. "Put your mind to it, go for it, get down and break a sweat, rock and rolllllll you ain't seen nothin yet!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm you neeed the following to workout with...they're my 2 favorite workout songs ever:

    Black & White - Michael Jackson
    Disturbia - Rihanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for getting physical! good luck!
    a couple of songs that keep me moving: Folsom Prison Blues by Everlast & Conquest by The White Stripes. don't ask me why...

    ReplyDelete