Thursday, February 18, 2010

Quarter Life Crisis


Last year I distinctly remember my friend Micah wishing me a happy 24th birthday and asking me how I felt. Being the slightly-OCD person that I am, I thought 24 was a really solid, even number which gave me a positive outlook on the year. "Ask me that next year," I joked, "25 is a really scary number."

Well, here we are.

Someone else asked me this year, "if you were talking to your little self, do you think you'd be proud of who you are?" - albeit it a very serious question for a birthday celebration, it's worth giving some thought. When people told us as kids that we could be whoever we wanted to be and go wherever we wanted to go, I always believed them. So as my little self looking forward, I think that I'd be proud of the fact that I've taken some chances, learned some lessons, and made a pretty joyful life along the way.

Quarter life crisis? Eh, not so much. It's hard to call anything in life a crisis when you're surrounded by such loving, encouraging and fun people! Birthday plans took shape early this year after rumblings of the fact that I'd never been to Billy Bob's, or owned my own pair of boots. (I think I was called the most "unTexan Texan, ever.") A group of my closest and dearest coordinated a night out in cow-town with a trip to the stockyards for Joe T. Garcia's fajitas and ritas, followed by a Miranda Lambert Concert at the World's Largest Honky Tonk.


My (new) vintage boots, courtesy of Mom!
These babies hadn't seen the light of day in over 30 years!

As I've become accustomed to the past few years, the tone of my birthday was set my a wonderful little snow storm. In New York, it was fun and we were familiar with it, but 12.5 inches in Texas made for a nice little surprise. It also added slight complications to the weekend. I've maybe never laughed as hard as I did while 3 girls in boots & dresses tried to push a BMW out of the snowy Billy Bob's parking lot...only to end up on our knees while the tires spun.


The snow also brought along the illusive snow day at work, and a mid-week sleepover due to power outages! As expected, Robbie was prepared with pizza and cookie cake.


A Brulyssa cookie cake & a New Moon cake?
I think Robbie made enemies in bakeries across Dallas for these novelty items.


All week, Kristen and Robbie had made a point that they wanted to give me my gift on Thursday night before the big day. A little worried that this gift seemed plotted and planned, I obliged and excitedly tore open the Nordstrom bag. If you're unclear on what kind of friends I have, here is a perfect example. In the expertly wrapped box was a birthday outfit - my favorite color blue dress, in the right size and fit, accessorized with a slimming chunky belt.

In case you don't know me at all, let me explain just how special this is. I'm the type of person that anticipates an event like this for weeks, and an hour before stands in my closet frustrated and hopeless because I have nothing to wear. (And sure enough - I had plans to leave work early on Friday and make a quick mall run.) And how many people do you trust to buy you clothes?! I would trust no one else to outfit me perfectly for my 25th birthday celebration; it is pretty much equivalent to me trusting them with my life. I'd do both, for sure.

Flowers, massages, cupcakes, books, cards and facebook messages. I have the best friends and family I could've ever known to ask for. What could I possibly have to be in crisis about?

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! This makes me so very happy, and just a liiiittle sad that I couldn't be there in F Dub with y'all... But what fun! Love it.

    And well done KR and RM on the chunky belt... Perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to see picture of cute you in the cute birthday outfit.

    ReplyDelete