Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Sweet Disposition

I don’t do resolutions. One of the key things I lack as a person is self-discipline. I’m not a runner; I’m not a dieter; I’m not a consistent blogger. Therefore, making a new year’s resolution is like setting myself up for failure – and I have a serious fear of failure. So when the inevitable question flies my way, I take the edgy and confident approach of “I don’t do resolutions.” transitioning my position from failure to trend-setter.

Truth is I’m not inspired by a calendar date. I think inspiration finds you at the most unexpected times and places. After a low key weekend of spending quality time with friends and watching really romantic movies (and football!), I found myself full of hope and optimism for the New Year.

In a frenzy brought on the arctic blast and 1* wind chills, I booked a flight to California to spend 4 glorious days with my two best girl friends.

Kristen introduced me to this blog, which entertained me for hours and restored my faith in love and fun. They give me hope and fulfill all my crazy ideas about life.

I read this tonight in a magazine: "The most elusive of men, Mr. Right is difficult to locate but well worth the effort. Many women settle before finding him, so go out with your friends, be yourself and he will appear. Mazel tov."

Trivial they may be, but here are the few things I can commit to doing in 2010:

I’m going to keep my hair long (until I’m tired of it), because it makes me feel girly.

I’m going to finish reading the Harry Potter series (currently in book 5) and also try to read lots of other, more mature books too.

I’m going to pray more.

I’m going to keep testing the waters with indie music, because once you get past the weird stuff, it’s really, really good.

I’m going to invest in my loved ones, because the ROI is immeasurable. (And it’s not like I have a 401k to invest in.)

I’m going to be happy for others when they’re happy, and celebrate in their accomplishments.

I’m going to turn 25.

I’m going to figure out how to turn off the closed caption feature on my DVD player.

I’m going to keep writing this blog, because every time someone notices that I haven’t blogged in a while, and they see this as a negative thing, I get a tiny surge of joy.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found in you," declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 29:11-4

No comments:

Post a Comment