Friday, February 27, 2009

Prelude

Music is maybe the only thing I’ve been consistently passionate about in my life. It has been a constant companion for as far back as I can remember. There was this one time I got a “jambox” for Christmas – I’m pretty sure it was kindergarten. I somehow got my hands on a cassette tape of Queen’s single, Bohemian Rhapsody (probably swiped from my older brother) and I sat in my closet, jambox in lap, and listened to it over and over, manually rewinding it each time. If you know me at all, which both of you reading this do, you know that this is consistent with my personality. I live for new music and then I completely wear it out. I’m a big fan of the shuffle and repeat features on my ipod.

Blogging is kind of a scary thing to me because I’ve got some really witty friends (and because it's presumptuous to assume people care what you have to say). I have a 9 to 5 job in an advertising/online publishing office, which means I gchat and read blogs most of the day – and I’ve read some really good ones. So to manage your expectations, here are some things you should know about me, this blog and my musical taste.

this is nothing new
I’m not a super-indie person and I’m not out constantly scoping new artists. Most of my playlists are a collection of songs I found featured on itunes, VH1 morning videos, a new movie trailer or an episode of The Hills.

i am very low-key
Give me a Justin Timberlake album and inevitably, my favorite song will be the slow ballad. (you know the part towards the end of Love Stoned…yep, that’s what I’m talking about) There is a time and a place for some Rhianna, but for everyday, I’m always going to pick something more mellow.

Without developing a formal mission statement, my goal for this blog is that it offers you some fresh ideas, brings up some old favorites and helps your day progress to five o’clock a little quicker. I have zero authority in the music biz – although I have been known to be the “Lyrics Police” - and I believe that everyone brings a new perspective to the table, so please offer suggestions! I plan to keep you updated on my latest and greatest "On-The-Go" playlist, inform you about who I'm listening to and why and who knows?...maybe even share my opinions on the new American Idol hopefuls. Share if you’re listening to something that really gets you going! And feel free to offer up tips and ask questions – I might need some ideas to keep this exciting!

Here is something to get this party started - thanks to Kristen for discovering this last year:

2 comments:

  1. I'm confused. Is it a bad thing to have Rihanna playing in heavy rotation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. will you be in charge of my wedding reception playlist?

    ReplyDelete